Monday, December 10, 2012

Applied Research: Update

So far I have given the survey to seven kids and one parents. Three of the children were 6, two were 4 and one was 10. Almost all of them drew a boy and girl in a generic manner, the girl with long hair and the boy with short hair. Many of the older kids responded to questions 8 and 9 how I expected, "I wouldn't play with a truck/doll because that is a boy/girl toy", it surprised me that the younger kids were more open to playing with toys that did not traditionally abide to their gender. I wish I made more of my questions like that because that is where I am finding responses closer to what I was expecting. However, some of answers concerning favorites seem to be gender neutral things (such as a favorite show being spongebob). I am having trouble surveying the kids parents because they are not as available to me so I think my findings are not going to result in if parents impose gender roles on their children but something more along the lines of gender roles are not considered until a certain age. I am excited to continue my research, a little disappointed that it is not going where I originally intended but I will be happy if I am able to conclude something from the survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment